................................................... preview and buy the album on this site . on cdbaby . on amazon . on itunes

4. prince

It's not really possible to overstate Prince's impact on my musical taste. You might not think so if you stood Prince and I side by side. His influence has been profound, but it's hard to say exactly how.

It's not that I often pose semi-nude, or wear shirts with ruffles on them. It's not that I know how to play the guitar. I'm uncomfortable singing about how I'm going to lick you, or do you, make you holler, or ride you like an aeroplane or sports car. I'm even more uncomfortable writing about those things. So I don't. But Prince writes and sings about those things on a regular basis.

Prince can walk on stage and catch a guitar being thrown to him from the other side. I can't do that. Please don't come to any performance of mine expecting to see me catch airborne guitars. It's not going to happen.

Prince has guitars with unusual shapes. My guitar is shaped like a guitar.

I am short but Prince is shorter. I am white and Prince is black. Maceo Parker is willing to play in Prince's band. I suspect that I do not have the same “pull” in the industry. To date, Prince has had ten of his albums go platinum and thirty songs chart in the top forty. I haven't had any of those things, to date. He had his first big hit when he was twenty. When I was in twenty, I was just in college. Getting a degree in Sociology. Prince didn't do that. He had other priorities.


* * *

Most other music that I like doesn't sound much like Prince. And sometimes his records are what the critics would call “self indulgent” (this is something we actually have in common.) But other times his songs are so perfectly composed, arranged, and performed that they transcend style.

“When You Were Mine” is an example of a perfect pop song. Its sentiment is not only wistful, romantic, bitter, ironic, hurt or hopeful, but all of those things, and the words are well-chosen and well-rhymed. The moment and the feeling described could easily become too small or too big, but it never becomes either one of these. The melody is instantly memorable, and the song contains all the hooks that it possibly can and should.

Probably this is why Cyndi Lauper put it on her record too. It's a perfect song, and everyone likes one of those. When I first heard those perfect songs of his, they made a big impact. Bigger than the ruffled shirts, sexual innuendo, and stagecraft. This is just a good song, and when I learned that, it felt like I had really learned something.