................................................... preview and buy the album on this site . on cdbaby . on amazon . on itunes

8. sex

This is why fleets were launched and wars declared. Let's face it. It's not her eyes, the curve of her waist, the sunlight in her hair. It's what you want to do with those eyes, waist, and hair. Or what you want them to do to you.

This is an album largely about sex. Money changes everything, including sex. Girls just want to have fun, and sex is not necessarily but can be included under the heading of “fun.” When you were mine, we had sex. Time after time, I remember you, I'm waiting for you, and presumably sex is somewhere in the mix there. She bop, obviously she does. And so on. It continues. You get the point.

This is why middle school boys in Pristina graffiti the walls with their caveman drawings of dicks. Four or five curved lines and then everyone grins and laughs and runs on down the street, but it's all that's possible, this shorthand for “right now I really need sex, need it more than I can even really describe.” It's an utterly controlling thing. No wonder it plays at least a supporting role in these ten songs in a row. Been doing that in popular songs since way further back than 1983.

Sex is cruel. It might be natural and necessary, but “natural and necessary” is just another way of saying “cruel”. For sure it doesn't care what you say about it, or what you sing about it. In church they used to say that love is never jealous, and maybe that's true, but sex is jealous, jealous, jealous. Controls your eyes, your mouth, your hands. Makes you say things you don't even mean. Things you didn't know you meant. Makes you sing things you never meant to say. Runs its own course through your life and bends you to its will some way or another.

But I think that's what the songs are saying. There's nothing we can do about this (they say). I'm trapped by your body, and I want nothing else than to trap you with mine. Anchor you to me and drag you down, stop you floating away in the way that everything seems to want to float away around here. We can do this the hard way, and we probably will, because there's really no easy way, none at all. Probably this is going to hurt you and me both. Maybe this means forever, or maybe we don't even stand a chance of understanding one another, never did, but whatever the truth about that is there's no denying this. I think that's what the songs mean when they say “I want you.” I want to. To hold your hand. I need you. I gotta have...

Look.
What you've done.
To me.

I think that's what the songs are saying. They're saying “help.” It's just another word for “sex.”