................................................... preview and buy the album on this site . on cdbaby . on amazon . on itunes

7. past, present, future

I wanted something portable to play in a band, so my parents bought me a Juno 106. I was 15. The knobs were labeled “oscillator” and “envelope,” and I never got much of a handle on what those things meant. I stuck to preprogrammed piano and organ sounds. I went to blues jams and set the keyboard on top of the piano, so I could play either one. It was Austin, Texas in the 80's, a good time and place for music, but I didn't know any better than to play blues. Later I switched to the bass guitar and forgot about keyboards entirely. When it came down to it, I played a lot of synthesizers, but I was never a synthesizer player. When it came down to it, I wasn't much interested in inventing sounds that way. I didn't have that thing in me.

There are synthesizers all over this album of hers, and the synthesizers only rarely attempt to imitate acoustic instruments. Mostly the synthesizers sound like synthesizers. Thick fat beeping buzzing Juno 60s, Prophet 5s, Memorymoogs, and Oberheim sequencers, in action, signaling, morse code, electronic pulse. The guitar are polished smooth and slathered in chorus, and the drums are pressed flat, reasonable simulations of guitars and drums. But the synths sounds exactly like synths.

Those synths can sound dated now, but then it was a roomfull of guys with the latest technology in their hands. They moved oscillators and envelopes until they got something they were going for, something I never had that much fun doing. Maybe I missed something there. It must have felt like the present and the future happening simultaneously, transmitting beeping morse code messages from right now into tomorrow. Sounds nice.